Wednesday 9 August 2017

Lemon Ricotta Loaf Cake

When I was in New York City few days ago, I had a lemon loaf cake for breakfast one morning and it was oh-so-good! The cake was soft and moist, delicious lemon flavour, with icing on top that’s just not too sweet, the way I like it. I was obsessed with this cake, I had it again, and again at three other mornings after that.
As soon as I got back home, I knew I had to recreate it straightaway whilst the feeling is still fresh. I actually manage to smuggle a slice back with me and had it whilst baking this version of mine.
I’m really happy with how this cake turned out. It is exactly how I wanted it to be; tender, springy, moist crumbs, fresh lemon flavours inside and lemony boost on the outside from the lemon glaze.
I use oil here in place of butter to achieve maximum moistness to the cake. Plus there’s something quite old-fashioned about using oil, which I like. Previously I’ve made loaf cakes with Greek yoghurt or buttermilk, and this time I use ricotta cheese. This works as a tenderiser to the cake.
Sometimes when baking cakes, I like to impart flavours through the dry ingredients like malted milk powder or custard powder (delicious in vanilla cakes). Here along with the fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, I feel lemon pudding mix just really enhance that lemony flavour. And don’t forget to rub that lemon zest with the sugar at the beginning.
I hope you’ll give this a go and enjoy it for breakfast, with a cup of tea in the afternoon or even before dinner… did I tell you I am obsessed with this cake? :)
Lemon Ricotta Loaf Cake
zest of 1 lemon
225 gr sugar
3 large eggs
120 gr vegetable oil
120 ml lemon juice
125 gr ricotta cheese
1 tsp vanilla paste
220 gr plain flour
1 packet / 96 gr lemon pudding mix
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

for the glaze:
120 gr powder sugar
20 gr lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease and line a loaf tin with baking parchment, set aside.
In a mixing bowl, rub the lemon zest and sugar to extract maximum lemon flavour before adding the eggs, oil, lemon juice, ricotta cheese and vanilla. Mix with a paddle attachment until everything is smooth, light and combined.
In another bowl, sift all the dry ingredients then add them to the mixing bowl. Mix until just combined, don’t overmix. Give it a scrape with a spatula if needed, ensuring all mix on the sides and bottom are incorporated.
Pour the batter into the tin and smooth the top lightly. Bake for 45–50 minutes, or until the top is slightly domed, cracked and a skewer/toothpick/uncooked spaghetti inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Let cool for 10 minutes before taking the cake out from the tin to cool completely.
For the lemon glaze, in a small bowl mix the sugar with the lemon juice and whisk until smooth. The consistency should be spreadable, neither too thick nor too thin. The amount of the glaze may seem skimp, but trust me, that’s plenty.
Glaze the cooled cake evenly and let it dry for few minutes, this will make it easier come slicing and less messy, trust me. In the meantime though, it’s a good time to put the kettle on for a cup of tea or coffee. Slice the cake thickly and enjoy!
Any leftover cake, I’d recommend to keep in an airtight container at room temperature. The fridge will dry out the cake.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking for some good blog sites for studying. I was searching over search engines and found your blog site.eaadhar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another great post.This is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The way you incorporate multimedia elements into your blog adds a dynamic and engaging aspect. The use of images, videos, and other visuals not only enhances understanding but also keeps the audience captivated. Well done!"
    dicks military discounts

    ReplyDelete