Saturday 9 November 2013

Perkedel Kentang - Potato thing you can help me name

The word perkedel derives from Dutch word frikadel; which I believe these days in The Netherlands is a sausage or meatball type of snack.  Any Dutch or more knowledgeable readers please correct me if I'm wrong.  In Indonesia, perkedel is used for variety of foods made with vegetables or minced meat or fish or a mixture of all the above.  So, dishes like corn fritters, fish cakes and potato patties all fall into the perkedel category... which sounds convenient, but I am having a hard time what to call this potato thing I made in plain English.  This should be easy, right, but my brain is not working.

I was going to call it potato patties, but they look neither like patties nor fritters... Potato cakes?! naahh... Croquettes? maybe? that's the closest resemblance perhaps. OK, that can be my question of the day, what would you name this dish? 

To help you (or not) I'll explain how I make this potato thingy which is very simple.  It's basically a spiced up, shaped, breaded and fried mashed potatoes (ooohhh... that's an idea for a name).  This is a great way of using leftover mashed potatoes should you have any and turning it into delicious afternoon snacks.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you how to make mashed potatoes... but just in case, I steamed five medium size potatoes until soft or until they can be pierced with a knife easily.  People with good common sense will let the potatoes cool a bit before they peel the skin, but I have asbestos hands and also impatient.  I actually rather like lumpy mashed potatoes, but for these not-yet-named thing, it's best to have smooth mashed potatoes... and a potato ricer comes very handy to achieve this texture.  Now let the mashed potatoes cool a little while you prepare the bumbu.     

The bumbu is nothing unusual.  It's just four finely chopped shallots and a couple of cloves of garlic which need to be finely grated; and also a couple of seeded and finely chopped red chillies.  Add this to the potato mixture.  Season with salt and white pepper to taste.  Last but not least, freshly grated nutmeg which works so well with mashed potatoes.  You can also add celery, spring onions or parsley if you want for a bit of greenery.

I then add 200 gr of minced beef... although if I remember correctly, when I was a kid, mom used corned beef... also equally delicious.  So, take your pick.  Then add a couple of eggs to help bind the mixture.

Now shape this in any way you like... but you may want to shape it in a form that can be easily named... like patties or meatballs, and coat them with breadcrumbs.  I shaped mine like a cylinder and here I am... (name idea: potato rolls?)

Coat with breadcrumbs and deep-fry in hot oil until golden and cooked through.


I like using those coarse Japanese breadcrumbs or panko for extra crunch.  Serve with chilli sauce or tomato ketchup or whatever tickle your fancy.


Have a great weekend friends! x

11 comments:

  1. Hi Michael!
    My mom used to fry leftover mashed potatoes...with scallions or peas, or whatever she had on hand. Hers were flat pancake-looking though. I love the shape of yours. And the addition of beef makes it a complete meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potato rolls? Whatever name you use it, they look droolworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SInce i was concern about my weight issue, i love to bake perkedel too, but you needed an oil sprayer for making a golden crusted outer layer.....
    instead of breadcrumbs, you can use some chopped nuts like pistachi, almonds or even peanut, beside some grated potato that dained with papper towel may be used for the outer crusted layer too.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I love these things! We bought some frozen and everyone loved them. I'm going to show my mum your recipe for these! Hope you're having a fabulous weekend Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they look stunning and the mix of flavours is gorgeous... what's the malaysian for Croquette?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potato dogs. Eat your heart out, Emeril.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote goes for croquettes! I love this kind of finger food, I could easily have these as a meal....yum!
    Have a great week Michael, and yes, I am back :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about pillows of fried heaven, as that is what they look like to me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look fab! A delicious treat. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael, I would call these yummy potato treats 'potato logs'...they're log shaped, brown, crunchy and super flavor filled! I love to convert great leftover foods such as potatoes into another great recipe, such as you did...that's what I call 'thrifting':)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know what they're called, they look like the most amazing croquettes!

    ReplyDelete