Tuesday 29 November 2011

Dutch, Swedish and Irish Apple Cakes

I think it's fair to say that when life gives me apples, or actually when Janet gives me apples to be exact... I bake apple cakes; and that's what I've been doing the past few days... testing more apple cake recipes that I've kept over the past few months. Apple overload?! Not yet...

The Dutch apple cake is by far the lightest apple cake yet. And because of its light and fluffy sponge, it's so easy to eat. This is not at all difficult to assemble and lovely to have in the afternoon with a cup of tea. Though as far as I am concerned, any time is good time to eat cake. I did save myself a couple slices, thinking it'll be nice to have in the morning with my coffee. Well, that never happen. That evening, I had my Nigella moment. I strolled to the fridge, looking for something to nibble and I picked up the cake, poured over some cold double cream and ... you know the rest.


Dutch Apple Cake
Recipe by Rachel Allen
For list of ingredients and instructions, click here.

None of my friends questioned about the origin of the Dutch or the Irish apple cakes. But they all asked, what makes this cake Swedish? Well, I don't know to be honest. I just eat. And I did my impression of Swedish accent. Apparently it's not so good . But anyway, this is another easy cake recipe that can be whipped up in no time. It does look like a giant cookie, don't you think? It's buttery and it's crispy around the edges and a little gooey when still warm.



Swedish Apple Cake
Recipe by Allegra McEvedy
For list of ingredients and instructions, click here.

OK, this Irish apple cake is not the prettiest looking cake, it's a bit wonky, but nevertheless it's delicious. I find it somewhat interesting that the batter for the cake begins like making crumble topping and then an egg and few spoonfuls of milk are added to turn in into a thick batter. My favourite bits from the cake are the apples that are poking out from the cake, because they really get sticky and caramelised.

I cannot wait to have the last slice of the cake later this evening.


Irish Apple Cake
Recipe by Diana Henry
For list of ingredients and instructions, click here.

13 comments:

  1. I admire your stamina on the apple cake front. I recently had to admit that I became slightly obsessed with apple cake recipes at one time - I'm sure I was an apple cake anorak for a while. Maybe we should form a support group. I must say that the Dutch version looks particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true dedication to the apple cake cause! You're nothing if not thorough!! Irish one looks tastiest to me ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and let them eat cake...
    must say, I would love to try all three at one sitting, but since I'm a bit wonky myself, I think I'll try McEvedy's cake first... just sounds like a good place to start...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your style Michael! I think any time is a good time for cake too :)
    Swedish, Dutch, Irish... they all look amazingly good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonky (term I don't understand)...must be a British term, lol...wonky, or not, I love your Irish apple cake! You never cease to amaze me, Michael:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Irish too! They all look amazing though, I always have (too) many apples at home, so as you can guess I'm often baking apple cakes...but yours are truly great!Never heard of the Dutch version though, thanks for sharing!
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was your Swedish accent just a Swedish Chef impression. I have to admit mine would be.
    Also, I must try these cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tagged you Michael!

    http://littlemacaroon.blogspot.com/2011/12/food-bloggers-unplugged.html

    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seemed like you had WAAAY too many apples than you know what to do with, Michael! I'm glad you practiced your apple cake-baking skills to the max because each one of these cakes look so, so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think any time is a good time for cake too :)

    ReplyDelete