Thursday 17 February 2011

Guilt Free Kentucky

There's something about fried food and the 'crunchy-crispy-naughtiness' they bring that make them truly irresistible. One of my all time favourite food is fried chicken; and they must be home-made of course. Though I must confess, every now and then I buy fried chickens from a joint where the mixture of herbs and spices, all eleven of them still remain a secret. I could eat a bucketful of them, although that would simply mean the end of my short life.

This guilt free kentucky is a recipe I found recently by Lorraine Pascale. I use chicken thighs here as they are my favourite. In the packet they came in from the supermarket, there are six pieces of chicken thighs. I could and I would eat all of them because I am a greedy pig, but I somehow managed to restrain myself and cooked just three. I am very proud of this self-control.

The three pieces of skinless thighs were dipped in egg and then covered in seasoned white breadcrumbs with chopped thyme and rosemary. They're then baked in pre-heated 200 C oven for 30 minutes until golden.


In keeping with the guilt free theme, the chickens were served with rocket salad dressed in olive oil and lemon, and also sweetcorn kernels and chopped red peppers. Just like regular fried chickens, I must have tomato sauce; and my favourite is Tiptree Tomato Ketchup. It is so good!

11 comments:

  1. Guilt free fried chicken sounds like a very good thing to me!! I indulged in a MacDonalds this evening and feel so guilty, I'll be trying these instead when the next fast food craving hits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since this is healthy, you can eat more right? haha. Either way, I'd eat a bunch of this chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chicken looks super crispy and so delicious! I'd rather eat this than take out anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I'll have the other three!

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny, I was just thinking about fried chicken the other night.. Love the baked version with the breadcrumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Viking recently asked me to do a veggie KFC type of thing with his veggie chicken pieces... you have inspired me to be creative with breadcrumbs, so thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fried chicken is one of my all time favorites too! I could eat my weight in it!!
    I love baked chicken like this...it really does give you the illusion that you are eating something fried!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guilt free!? I'll take it! A whole plate of it. Have a great weekend Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely guiltless, I like the way your roll. I love fried chicken, but it isn't just the guilt that gets me, it just seems so wasteful to use all that oil for deep-frying, so I generally avoid deep-frying things whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks like a super yummy dinner. I am not a real fan of KFC ( Sorry!) but I do love great chicken! (and thighs are my favorite cut too).
    Thank you for your kind words over at Chef Dennis' blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds absolutely delicious! And it looks SO good! I would have trouble not eating all 6 as well...the thighs are my favorite too. Great self restraint!

    ReplyDelete