Tuesday 4 January 2011

Orange Cherry Cookies

Many times when I read food blogs and I came across mouth-watering recipes, if you're like me, you drool all over your computer whilst typing a nice comment and then you save the link or bookmark the page and thinking I'll cook that some day.  I have kept many recipes over the last few months and so far I only cooked two of them.

So, I've decided as one of my New Year's resolution (I have two. The other one is to learn to type with ten fingers) is to cook my way through these recipes, your recipes.  So, just wait and see, yours might be next.  I'll make sure to mention your blog and I'll let you know as well.

This cookies recipes comes from Juliana at Simple Recipes, It's as simple as that... I love the flavour combo and like many cookies recipes, this is easy to make, buttery, delicious and it's always so reassuring to have a jar of home-made cookies in the house.  Juliana, thank you for sharing this recipe with us.


Orange Cherry Cookies
Recipe by Juliana at Simple Recipes
Makes approximately 24 cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup fine granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup chopped dried cherries

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.  Place the butter and sugar in a larger bowl and beat together with an electric mixer on medium-high for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.  Add the egg, vanilla and orange zest and beat again until smooth.  Beat in the flour mixture on low until just incorporated and then add the dried cherries.

Wrap the dough in cling and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours (or up to 24 hours).  Remove the dough from the fridge and make small balls, approximately 24 balls.  Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C.

Flat the balls and place the cookies at least 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.  Bake the cookies until they are lightly golden around the edges, about 13-15 minutes.  Let them stand on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

7 comments:

  1. oh god Michael you're so right... I have a HUGE folder of 'must cook'... I guess we tend to play safe!... nice cookies and lovely, worthy idea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...I see something I love...save it...then forget it! ha

    These looks scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Michael, you sure are fast...and I am so glad that you enjoyed the cookies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like some delicious cookies! I can totally relate to all the mouthwatering food, I come across with the best of intentions to prepare. I have made some of the recipes that I saved. I am glad I did. I was not disappointed.

    Happy New Year!
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a resolution just like this one - millions of blog recipes, things cut out of newspapers and oh, all the cookbooks just waiting to be opened! I'll add this to the list (near the top!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies do have a wonderful flavor combination and they look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm....cookies!! Those look great!
    I'm with you on finding great recipes..I have so many it's almost overwhelming at times!

    ReplyDelete