Tuesday 11 January 2011

African Drumsticks

I've got a deadline on another essay and this one is more confusing than before... If anyone is an expert on Erving Goffman, please let me know.

And you know how it is when you're really up against it, anything seems more attractive than the work you meant to be doing.  I've been looking for excuses and distractions to get away from my computer and today many house chores suddenly took top priorities.  My most legitimate distraction however was cooking dinner because obviously I've got to eat to get more energy so that I can concentrate more (yeah, right!).

I marinated the chicken drumsticks in the afternoon (part of the distraction) to really get the flavours going.  In a shallow dish, start by mixing the marinade: 80ml Worcestershire sauce, 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup, 2 teaspoons English mustard powder, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, a tablespoon apricot jam and 1 finely chopped onion.  Add 8 chicken drumsticks and coat well in the marinade (you could leave it in the fridge overnight if you wish).  In a roasting tin, put a tablespoon or so of garlic oil and arrange the drumsticks in the tin and pour over any remaining marinade.  Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour in 200 C preheated oven, basting once or twice  or three times (and yet another distractions, still legitimate of course).  The chicken will take on beautiful dark colour and the sauce will become sweet and sticky.  I reckon this will be a great marinate for ribs too.  Yum!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the dish because I thought I'm not gonna post anything today, but hey, I needed the distraction.  If you really want to see a picture, you can go to page 47 of Nigella Kitchen.

Back to work... well, after washing the dishes and a cup of tea I think. :)

9 comments:

  1. I'm exactly the same as you Michael, when I have a big mission to accomplish & its a touch, well....., dare we say "boring".. :) I tend to suddenly have an urge to do housework, cook, dream up new recipes, invite everyone around for dinner & then realize I have to shop, cook, tizz the house for the dinner party..... I'm absolutely amazed at the creative ways I can come up with getting out of settling down & doing what has to be done.
    Lovin' the sound of your African drumsticks.., I have used this (or something like it) marinade with lamb chops, only I remember adding in brown sugar too...., its a nice little comforter huh.
    Now.., get back to that assignment OK :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been many years since I have been in college. However, I can remember very well, that house cleaning, and cleaning sinks, and behind the refrigerator suddenly was a top priority, that could not wait a second longer. Your post made me smile.

    The marinated drumsticks no doubt were delicious.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! The chicken drumstick sure sounds yummie, love the idea of apricot jam...I love chicken with fruit flavors...good luck with you essay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are working hard but you are right, you definitely need a little fuel from time to time. I have had my eye on these for a while and was hoping to read a review soon so I am glad you gave them a go. These sounds like they are definitely worth the time away from the studies.
    Good luck with your essay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like an interesting dish. But I've never heard of Erving Goffman. Off to Google, I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a lot of people do that when they don't really want to do what they are supposed to be doing. I think it's that residual child that resides in us all!! The drumsticks sound fantastic!! mmmmmmm!!! Good luck to you on your essay, I can't help at all, I don't even know who Erving Goffman is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like using cooking as a distraction, Michael. :) When I have company coming and a list a mile long, I sit down and read some nonsense or other. Talk about procrastinating. I'm an old hand.

    (Who the hell is Erving Goffman?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Michael
    you know I love Nigella so I'm right with you with this recipe! I do love chicken and I am always looking for new ways to make it, your African chicken sounds delicious!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great marinade...I am sure the dish was gorgeous and amazingly flavorful! Not an expert on Goffman though, sorry.

    ReplyDelete