Tuesday 28 December 2010

Dear Alex, Thank You for the Christmas Cake

Several weeks ago, I received an email from one of my favourite food bloggers, Alex from Dear Love Blog offering an edible gift for Christmas and continuous support for her blog.  Being an openly greedy person, of course, I couldn't say no.  Alex presented a list of delicious goodies and the task to choose was not an easy one.  Satsuma & Clementine Marmalade? Honey & Ginger Fudge? Winter-spiced Vodka? But at the end I settled for a Christmas Cake.

I have two contrary views on Christmas Cake. One, it's this dreadful dried-fruit cake, covered in jaw-achingly sweet royal icing or marzipan so hard, I'm afraid my teeth will break; and two, it's just not Christmas without a Christmas Cake.

I received the cake a couple days before Christmas and the cake is the highlight of my holiday.  I cannot stop bragging about it to my friends.  I must tell you, the cake smells absolutely incredible and I know it'll taste delicious.  I haven't actually cut the cake yet because I want to "feed it with brandy like an alcoholic pet" as Alex wrote, for another week or two.   

If you would like to see better pictures of the cake and would like to see the recipe and how to make it, please visit Alex's blog, by simply clicking here.


I think this is the wonderful thing about the food blogging community, it's not just about sharing recipes, pictures and stories, it's also about making friends.

Alex, thank you so much for this wonderful present.  It was so generous of you.  You really made my Christmas.  Thank you again for thinking of me.   Have a great holiday season.  Here's to a long lasting friendship.  Cheers!

13 comments:

  1. It is a thing of beauty, thanks for sharing ther new blog with me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm what a great looking cake! Perfect for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have a big ol' slice of that cake, as soon as it gets good and soaked - Happy New Year my friend, warm blessings and sweet memories of a new year to come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is really sweet of her to make goodies for her loyal readers who have become great friends! I have mixed feelings abt the Christmas Cake too but u know what, reading this - I feel like digging into a fruity alcoholic Christmas Cake right now! Hehehee. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas xo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Wish I got a cake for christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is stunning and so unlike any fruitcake I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks like a stunning cake... and you're so right about community x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great Christmas gift indeed!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful and thoughtful thing for your friend to do...will definitely stop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael aren't you sweet! It was my pleasure. And you got the red card out too! Sorry I didn't email you back sooner our internet has been on & off all Christmas. I hope you enjoy it! Have a lovely new years eve, perhaps I'll bang into you along the Thames if you're still coming to London.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The panettone looks delicious!
    Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete