Friday 19 November 2010

Sweet and salty crunchy nut bars

I don't know where to start to describe how delicious these sweet and crunchy nut bars are.

It may seem odd to add salted peanuts to chocolate bars, but let me tell you the combination is YUM and these bars are addictive.

Feel free though to change the chocolate to your liking, if you want to use milk or dark chocolate only.  I'm sure Nigella wouldn't mind.  I personally like the mixture of both chocolates.  And yes, there's chocolate, butter, golden syrup, and more chocolate; but hey, this is a treat.  I would recommend not eating the whole tray for one.  It's nice to share sometimes, but the decision is yours.


Sweet and salty crunchy nut bars
Recipe by Nigella Lawson
Serves... 16 generous slices or 32 medium one... whatever you fancy

200 gr dark chocolate
100 gr milk chocolate
125 gr butter
3 tablespoons golden syrup
250 gr salted peanuts
4 x 40 gr Crunchie bars
1 foil tray, approximately 30 x 20 x 5 cm

In a saucepan, break up the chocolates into pieces and add the butter and golden syrup.  Melt gently under low heat.

Tip the peanuts into a bowl and crush the Crunchie bars, letting the rubble falls into the nuts.

Take the melted chocolate mixture off the heat and stir in the peanuts and crushed Crunchie bars, then tip straight to the foil tray.  Smooth the top of the mixture and put it in the fridge for about four hours before cutting into slices as desired.

23 comments:

  1. I love sweet and salty bars.. these look divine! Great job Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh..these look sinful and luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the combination of sweet and salty here! I bet these were soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... sweet and salty, PLUS chocolate too! What's there not to like about these bars?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark chocolate that snap, crackle and pop in my mouth! What an eating experience with your recipe. Got to try this pronto. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks beyond delicious!! It looks so fudgey!! I have to agree with you on the salted peanuts. Plain peanuts really don't have that much flavor compared to the saltiness of the salted ones. Plus, salty and sweet is always a good combo and so is peanut and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been craving something rich and chocolatey...and how I love sweet and salty together....this looks lovely!!! and I also keep eyeing that korean keema!!! life is delicious indeed.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. These do look delicious...I might be able to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow these look amazing fun recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think salty and sweet make such a great flavor combination, and those bars look perfect the way they are! I even have golden syrup in my pantry, courtesy of our Wegmans, British section!
    Thanks for a great post, and you just can't go wrong with Nigella!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet and salty is such a wonderful combination.
    Great job you did with these nut bars, Michael. If I'd get my hands on them, there wouldn't be a piece left!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love salt with sweet...I think it's a super idea to combine chocolate and salted peanuts. I'm sure glad those bars are not sitting in my kitchen. Yum.

    (The best caramels I've ever had were salted.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! love the addition of chunchie bars :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these recipes: few ingredients that make a perfect snack. The best! And I also love this salty and sweety mix. I still have not experimented with that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They sound delicious

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have tried these, it is almost impossible to stop eating them once you start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... they're addictive, aren't they? :)

      Delete
  17. I have added chilli to this recipe - unbelievable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! Must give that a try soon! Thank you :)

      Delete
  18. Yum - thank you for this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey, pl give me a substitute for crunchy bars - not available in India - thanks very much

    ReplyDelete