Tuesday 1 June 2010

Summertime Tagliarini, Aubergine Parmesan and Swiss Roll

Yesterday for lunch I made summertime tagliarini, a pasta dish served with a refreshing and zingy sauce that's made of pine nuts, lemon, parmesan and pecorino cheese, parsley and olive oil. It is like blond pesto, really. And even though the weekend wasn't very warm (in fact, cold), the tagliarini was still delicious.


Last night to celebrate my friend, Merlyn's birthday that I missed last week, I cooked a birthday dinner. I made my Japanese Cream of Corn Soup, yummy as usual to start.

Since last Wednesday, I was craving for aubergine (eggplant) parmesan and so that's what we also had last night. My other friend, Leo is temporarily a vegetarian, so it's perfect. I grilled the thick slices of aubergines before layering them with mozzarella and parmesan cheese and baked in the oven. The aubergine towers then served with a spicy tomato and pepper sauce and sautéed mushrooms.


And dessert was Jamie's 1980s-style Black Forest Swiss Roll, which turned out to be Swiss Fold because I was too greedy with the filling and I couldn't roll it. The presentation was not the best I must say, but it was sinfully delicious. The chocolate sponge was brushed with orange and cherry juice before layering it with melted chocolate, whipped cream, cooked cherries and rolled (or in my case, fold). Yum. We all had two generous slices each.

I gotta go to the gym now.

5 comments:

  1. If you keep posting these delicious pasta recipes I'm going to have to move into the gym or spend the rest of my life on the treadmill. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I crave eggplant parmesan on a daily basis and only wish my husband loved it as much as I do. Your pasta sounds perfect for the warming weather. Looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was so nice mike!! loved it! and thanks a bunch for the birthday dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I might have to live in the gym if I keep eating like this. Have a great day as well.

    Bridgett, the pasta was delish. Lovely to be eaten outdoor, under the sun and cold wine.

    And Meryln, you're very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This picture is so real that I wish I could eat...

    ReplyDelete