Tuesday 20 April 2010

squid with black pudding stuffing and sticky tomato sauce

for lunch today I made squid with black pudding stuffing and sticky tomato sauce. If you're not familiar with black pudding, it is a type of sausage made by cooking blood (pig or cattle most often used) until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled (doesn't that sound delicious?). It is commonly served in a traditional English breakfast along with the fried eggs, baked beans, tomatoes, hash browns, bacon and sausages.

I'm not a fan of black pudding but I promised myself to eat it just for this recipe. I was glad the squid wasn't just stuffed with black pudding, but also with pancetta, red onion and lemon zest.

Cooking it couldn't be any simpler, I seared the stuffed squids in olive oil and to make the sauce, simply add a handful of both red and yellow tomatoes, a pinch of dried chilli, garlic and let it simmer with a lid on for ten minutes until it creates a lovely sticky sauce. And don't go anywhere, stay in the kitchen because the smell, oh... like summer in the medditerranean.

I surprisingly enjoyed the dish and inhaled it in minutes. However next time, I think I'll stuff the squid with minced pork or chorizo instead.

Day 232, Recipe 107

No comments:

Post a Comment